Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Red Poppy Cake


Yesterday I made this cake for one of my very best friends, who turns 32 this week. I was inspired by a cake I saw online as well as a favorite Georgia O'Keeffe painting we have hanging in our living room. These are gumpaste flowers that I made with real black thread in the middles. It was fun experimenting with flowers again...I think I learn a little more each time I try. The bottom layer is golden vanilla with raspberry filling and the top is triple chocolate fudge with vanilla buttercream. I used the "healthy" shortening this time since my friend is very health conscious (I'm trying to get that way too), and it tasted very good and similar to regular Crisco which is what I usually use. This time I used the "Spectrum" brand shortening that you can find in places like Whole Foods, Sunflower Market, or just the health food section of your grocery store. It is all natural and non-hydrogenated but creates almost an identical texture to traditional buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment