Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cub Scout Blue and Gold Cake





Yesterday was our boys' big cub scout Blue and Gold Banquet and I volunteered to make a big cake for it. This was an idea that I envisioned to have each of the main scout den's (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos) represented on the top with their caps and neckerchiefs. I got to play with my new toy, a Cricut cake machine and we cut the letters out of gumpaste with that. I also used the Cricut "Campin' Critters" cartridge to make the little characters and badges that matched up well with scouting. For the arrow of light, I just printed a stencil I found online and cut it out of yellow fondant and let it dry hard. For the Webelos hat and neckerchief, I painted fondant with different cake colorings (I like the Americolors the best) and vodka. It worked out much better than I thought it would. This cake was a lot of work, but a big hit with the kids, so worth it! For those of you who visit my blog regularly, sorry it's been so long since my last post...I could not remember my password and was having trouble getting everything reset. I will try to catch up on the cakes that did not get posted since Dec. over the next couple of weeks.
-Tracye

2 comments:

  1. Love the way this turned out!! Love the Caps!! The arrow of light is great and the cutouts turned out great too!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! My Tiger Scout is getting into dessert decorating, and he is going to drool and beg to try this cake when he sees your photos. (We'll look for something easier for him, though!) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete