Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cub Scout Crossover cake

Last night was our son's crossover ceremony for cub scouts and I was asked to make the cake for it.  I really struggled with coming up with the initial idea, but once it took root in my mind, the cake was easy to put together.  I decided to go with a stage cake for this, so that I could set up a nice camping/scoutlike scene.  To make a stage cake, you bake 2 rounds and then cut one of them in half, laying the 2 halves on top of one another so that you have a raised up area on the cake.  One of these days I will remember to photograph the construction so that you can see better what I'm talking about.  Since the main part of the crossover ceremony is the scouts crossing over the bridge, there needed to be a bridge on this cake.  I made this one out of Hershey bars "glued" together with melted chocolate chips.  Then I covered the bridge with pretzel rods and piped a chocolate rope across.  The corner support pieces are these dark chocolate rolled up cookie things I found at Walmart (it was their generic brand).  I cut them in half and pushed them down into the cake.  The trees are sugar ice cream cones that I piped with green buttercream frosting.  The mountain scape, campfire, signpost, etc. are made out of fondant.  The little white rocks are chocolate rocks that I found at Michael's and the larger rocks are jellybean rocks (really really cool) that I found at Toys R Us.  I thought they were more realistic looking than the chocolate ones I usually use.  The sand is just crushed up graham crackers.  I really liked the way it came out.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I love it! Wish I had seen this one in person. I'll bet Clay loved it too.
    g-m-o-m

    ReplyDelete